The Michael D. Johnson Memorial Foundation Athletic Scholarship awards a JPS student a $1,500 annual scholarship to be used towards their college education. We also provide book scholarships of up to $250.00.
Candidates for consideration for Michael D. Johnson Athletic Memorial Scholarship must:
- Be a graduating Senior in the Jackson Public School (JPS) system (Jackson, MS)
- Be a member of a school sponsored Varsity Athletic Program
- Have an overall 2.5 or higher GPA
- Be a Metro Jackson resident
- Three (3) Recommendations/Letter of Reference (not to include immediate family)
- Minimum of 20 Hours of Volunteer Community Service (may be substituted with three (3) months of employment during senior year). Volunteer/community service hours must be confirmed by providing proof of service via signed letter from authored person on organization letterhead.
- Each applicant must complete an essay (minimum of 250 words, maximum of 500 words) stating why you should be selected to receive this scholarship. This essay should also include why you like and chose the sport of your choice.
- Please return COMPLETED application packet to: firstname.lastname@example.org (If you have any questions, please email or call 769-208-6106.)
The deadline for applicants to apply is: April 1st. The Athletic Director or Head Coaches’ at JPS High Schools will screen the nominees and submit the names of candidates to the Scholarship Selection Committee by April 1st. The scholarship winner will be selected by April 30th. The scholarship winner will be presented with the scholarship at the annual Michael D. Johnson Memorial Foundation Walk on the first Saturday in May 6th at Hughes Field, 545 Ellis Ave, Jackson MS 39203.
The Michael D. Johnson Athletic Memorial Scholarship will be given in two separate installments of $750 each per semester. Applicant must provide proof of college enrollment to receive initial $750 scholarship for 1st semester , applicant must provide proof of college enrollment to receive balance of scholarship ($750) for 2nd semester and show proof of grade point average of a minimum of 2.5 or higher.
Applicant must also provide a written detailed letter (via email) to The Michael D. Johnson Athletic Memorial Scholarship Committee email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org outlining the use of scholarship monies by December 31st for 1st semester funds, and due May 31st for 2nd semester funds. This scholarship must be used to assist the recipient in furthering their studies to a college, university or community college of their choice.